Monday, December 12, 2011

Gaming and more painting.

ACW
Last week Hayden and I managed to play test Polemos ACW rules in 6mm at his place. It was a simple afair with a brigade a piece which was OK until I ran into the issue of not being able to move for about 4 turns in a row. If the game had of been larger this wouldn't have been a problem but in the end as my infantry hid in the fields cowering before the Confederates I simply ran out of any ability to really do anything apart from snarl menacingly. I did however make a pincer move with what I had left and hit both flanks ending up in a Confederate battery and Regiment getting hit in the rear and turning tail. But in the end I could barely move those men that didnt want to run for the hills and that was that, it was a good game, the typical slowish game when learning the rules.

The rules have some holes in them but on apart from that they are good, though I did curse my luck at killing Hayden's inept brigade commander who was then replaced by an ADC of excellent grade. Hopefully we will have another, larger game next week and I can get some pics. I have also been making some 6mm scenery so we shall see how that goes. We do plan to run a small campaign to get some games in that arent of the pickup variety.

What else is going on !
I have, once again made an attempt at getting an old project off the ground which is some Middle Earth style skirmishes using Ganesha games Songs of Blades and Heros rules.


I have been a fan of the Hobbit and LoTR since I was a young lad and to me they are such an exciting enviroment that I can't resist some small skirmish solo games. While I detest Games Workshop rules and "expensive empire" like the plague I have found my 15mm figures, made an order for some more and in the new year plan to have some solo games. I've always been tempted to refight various actions from the books (and now movies) that I thought I would give it a go and its all simply for the silliness of it all. Top of my list are the following:
i) Can Aragorn and Gimli actually stand on a bridge at Helms Deep and repel a horse of Orcs while the gate is repaired ? or true to the book can Aragorn and Eomer hack and Slash their way out ?
ii) Would some warriors and some halflings be able to fight off a goblin mass in Durins tomb in Moria ?
iii) Can mounted horsemen ride down the Helms Deep causeway through several million orcs as the Movie suggests ?
iv)Plus some other general scraps and fights from the Hobbit and LoTR, I do plan to focus on some Moria actions as I'm always up for some Dungeon Globlin bashing.

Did you know a GW Balrog (28mm scale) is at the whopping price of $113 ? A regiment of 28mm orcs around $64 whilst a 15mm packet of 16 Orcs from Alternative Armies is $8 . 15mm has so many advantages !

Cheers

No comments: