Wednesday, July 19, 2017

General d' Armee playtest


Chassuer was hosting Archduke Piccolo for a test game of the new ruleset and he invited me along. I arrived an hour or so into the game and then took command of the French. The wonderful collection and terrain are all Marks and they were a joy to play with.

Below are some sample pictures from the game:

 The Austrians surge forwards
 Upon the Guard Cavalry arriving on the field I then had my usual rush of blood to the head and sent the entire cavalry straight up the guts.
Commanding Cavalry is rather fun when you have lots of them !

The Austrian attack stalled several times but then surged forwards giving the Polish infantry a hiding. At this time the French suffered a daze and could not seem to do anything so I took the risk of investing my command dice 100% into the Cavalry to try to make a difference.

It was a good long game though I found it tiring (I only arrived back home at 1am from Australia that morning) but I felt it went well. The rules were easy to pick up and luckily lacked half the modifiers that the GdB ruleset had that caused me a nightmare at Waterloo.

Monday, July 10, 2017

Old Crow Drop Ship

I am in Australia on holiday and its all very good, so here is  a pic anyway of my favorite 15mm vehicle as I need to host the photos somewhere.

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

NQM PLay Testing

Archduke Piccilo and I sat down last night to try out the NQM rules so we could make sense of it all.

Some pics from those tests. Dug-in Romanians take on the Soviet Hordes. In these tests the Romanians were always wiped out but they often took a lot of Russians with them.

Thursday, June 15, 2017

Note Quite Mechanized Romanians

I am currently firing out stands for the 3rd Romanian Army I plan to use at some point.

The above are infantry, AT gunners, Engineers, Command, Gun Crew, mortars and MMG's.

Archduke and I had a working bee to get it all started and we shall try the rules out at some stage with a very simple scenario. What better reason to burn through the hours getting these chaps ready.

They consist of:
  • HAT Romanians (perfect)
  • A HAT\Armourfast motorcycle for recce.
  • Esci French (Had nothing else to do with them)
  • Italeri Russians in Winter Uniform (Apart from the helmets they look fine)
  • An Airfix French Legionnaire - This figure looks like a soldier with a fur hat.
  • An Esci Boer war soldier - He is kneeling and the helmet looks Romanian.
  • Airfix WW1 guns
  • 1st Armoured shall be some Renault's and a PzIII.
  • Not pictured are the ACW and Napoleonic Limbers I will use for the guns
So not accurate for the rivet counters but I make do I with what I have.

Its also getting me back into the swing of things. Archduke and I were supposed to have another bee a few nights ago but as its winter  we have the usual colds running around which delay things.

Monday, May 22, 2017

It turns out that I may have had my first wargame in one year on Saturday. I am sure that I have had more, but in fact I have only had one game. What a depressing thought ! I suspect while I have talked about war-gaming this may not have been the case but this has been one of the reasons for my recent change in focus in the last few weeks.

Geoff kindly organized a 15mm game at his house and I took part on the British side (Fighting my own figures no less). The French\Prussians (Geoff and Andrew) held a ridge-line with a steep escarpment which we (Ross and myself) had to somehow assault.

With my typical dash and bravado off I surged forward however it was not until later I realized that I made a very serious error, perhaps one of the most basic. While the escarpment could be handled I negated, in my enthusiasm I suspect, to check what the right ring of the British Army was doing. While I raced forward in column to assault the hills, I did not notice the right wing was advancing in line and also had a river to cross. This can be seen in the below showing my forces racing ahead.

 This left a conundrum as I had advanced too rapidly but needed to tie down the flank while waiting for the other wing to close up. However, up the hill we went but alas, my dice rolling was not that great and while I did knock around the French to a small degree I simply took a pasting. By then the right wing had descended but was easily repulsed.
A good game though and nice to be back in action. I suspect I shall sell my Prussians (and 28mm Russians) as they simply are an odd fit to the forces I have (Peninsular).

While I was there Andrew showed me his laser cut and hand crafted fleet for Lepanto. Seriously brilliant modelling and painting, these ships were magnificent and photos do not do them justice.

Thursday, May 4, 2017

Painted and Based

At a snails pace I am progressing through these plastic figures and I have enough now for some skirmish games.

The above are a mix of Romans, Britons, Knights, Huns and Saracens and once I finish some more I shall have some little games to keep my self entertained.

Apart from that I am getting rid of a lot of stuff  (6mm, 15mm) as sanity has prevailed !

Monday, April 17, 2017

1/72 progresses

As my foray into the Roman world continues I decided a trip to the Fortress of Knowledge was in order. While the box art on the Romans is good, I have no idea what other troop types should look like so I managed to find this, which is very good for a beginner such as myself.

As per usual, I also left with several science pieces and astrophysics for a little light reading.

The next question will be rules, as these figures are all for skirmish type games finding a good set (out of the sets I have) is the next task.